Monday, September 26, 2011

Tim Wreck Report



So about two weeks ago I dislocated/subluxed my right shoulder (pretty sure I sprained my AC joint too, but that wasn’t the official diagnosis) while riding the Flying Squirrel Trail at Chicopee Woods in Gainesville, GA.  As soon as I got my awareness back after the crash, I knew I was hurt.  I didn’t really know how bad until I tried to get back on the bike.  I put weight on the shoulder when I grabbed the handlebars and thought I might eject that morning’s egg sandwich.
            It felt like déjà vu.  Last spring I tore the MCL in my left knee a few months before the Burn 24 while skiing off piste and living in Vermont.  Now instead of a knee, it is a shoulder.  Instead of the Burn 24, it is the 24 hrs. of Georgia.  It seems like I am destined to be injured in some form right before any major mtb race I enter.  While I think the shoulder actually hurts more – my med school girlfriend tells me that there are a lot of nerves in the shoulders – injuring a shoulder still allows me to train cardio, whereas my knee had to heal first.  So what do I do?  Well, the shoulder does not allow me control a bike yet, so I am running.  I figure by running I can prepare my cardiovascular system for the race, but of course I will be missing time in the saddle.  Perhaps my biggest worry is losing my nerve on downhill sections.  After dozens of pretty good falls without any real injury, I guess this was bound to happen.  I just wish it wouldn’t have happened 2 months before race day. 

No comments: